Thursday 13 September 2018

The Little Country by Charles de Lint

Janey Little discovers a book hidden in her grandfathers attic. She is captivated by the first few pages and that is by an author she loves but did not know of this book. Then an old boyfriend comes back into her life unexpectedly and then things start to get complicated.

A strange cult leader has been searching for this book for most of his life. The last time he 'felt' it was when it was last opened some forty years ago. There is nothing he will not do to get his hands on this book this time.
I am slowly reading my way through de Lint's books in something close to published order and so far I have enjoyed every word. To start with I thought this would be the first book I was not going to enjoy but as I got into the story this feeling changed. Janey is a bit whiney and likes everything her own way, to the point where it drives people away. Anyone that does not agree with her is either shouted down or ignored. Her ex coming back into her life only seems to give her another reason to moan. Not a great start!
Ignoring this part of the story I persevered as there are two definite threads running in this story. You find that besides Janey's story we are also reading the book she has discovered and this story has a magical quality that I have come to expect when reading de Lint. The two stories seem far removed from each other but as we reach the climax we come to realise they are closely related. Also a very nice twist at the end, I'll not explain as it would spoil the read if you pick it up.
Another brilliant read from de Lint, another recommendation from me if you enjoy Urban Fantasy.


No comments:

Post a Comment