Monday 4 September 2017

Mistress Of The Empire by Raymoned Feist & Janny Wurts (The Empire Trilogy #3)


Mistress Of The Empire by Raymoned Feist & Janny Wurts (The Empire Trilogy #3)

There is something unnameable that is within all fantasy that I’ve read so far.
You get wizards. magicians, strong characters, evil enemies, dwarves, elves and a whole plethora of weird and wonderful animals, dragons and the like. And, no matter how much I enjoy in all this world and society building it all boils down to political intrigue and posturing. Yet I still read and thoroughly enjoy fantasy!

I’ve really enjoyed The Empire Trilogy, almost as much as I enjoyed The Riftwar Saga. Loads of adventure, discovering new peoples and societies, the world building is pretty complete. Most of the characters are easily recognised and positioned to be either good or bad, one or two change sides but essentially there is little mystery within the factions.

In this finale, everything builds towards almost an anti climax because as the sides are drawn together it becomes pretty obvious how it will end. Which is a bit of a shame when the book is 500+ pages. The thing I find with fantasy though is that I just HAVE to carry on reading. If it were a crime thriller/political thriller I might be tempted to just lay it down to gather dust but for some unknown emotion, I just cannot do it with good fantasy writing.

I’m not saying much more as I’ve not written about the first two in the trilogy other than to say if you have yet to discover Feists Riftwar Cycle, I would get a start on. The whole series is a measly 31 books short.

No comments:

Post a Comment