Thursday 4 October 2018

Discovering new music and music streaming


6 years is a long time but hopefully I’ll start something new here whilst leaving the old stuff in place. I do have a book review blog, a link should be here somewhere.

I’m of a certain age, over 55 anyway. I have always spent a lot of my free time listening to music and for some reason it came to my mind just how lucky music lovers both old and young are today. With
the internet we all have access to what ever makes our ears happy. For instance my music formative years were the 70’s and I simply loved prog rock and listened to what ever I could at the time. Mainstream radio stations played very little, if any at all, even if they did it was late night when all good teenagers were asleep.

Today, we can listen to what we like, when we like. I have Spotify and love it. I can use it free and listen to a few annoying adverts every hour or I could pay the price of 1 CD and listen to everything they have for a month! For me personally, I think it is a great service. I discover new bands almost daily and these are bands that I could have discovered in my teens if this sort of service had been around. Their music was never played on any radio station that I knew of.

I know musicians moan about the streaming services and they do not get as much income from these sources but for young bands, a handful of listeners can spread the word worldwide, rather than a few mates you knew where into the same music. Then, if they are anything like I was, you paid to go to concerts, where bands earn the real income anyway.

So, back to my point. Streaming has given me quite literally, a whole new library of bands to listen to that where around and playing great music that I never got to listen to, until now. Today I have Beggars Opera and their Pathfinder album from 1972. Not heard by these ears until nearly 45 after the event and probably never heard at all by me without my access to the internet. Why is there so much crap out in this electronic world when there are some really good things out there too?

No comments:

Post a Comment