Tuesday 1 March 2011

30 Minutes With Winamp

30 Minutes With Winamp first appeared on Trev's Telautograph on February 20th 2011

Smoke from my cigarette drifts in the air
Distracting me from the words on the screen
Cold coffee sits at my elbow, or is it tea?
I made it so long ago, anyway it's a mug gone cold
Grateful Dead music soothes my mind
Let It Grow as the word count grows
Blocking out the unwanted noises of life
At least there is something to be happy about
Dregs of a half eaten lunch sit drying on a plate
Can you tell this is not going according to my thoughts?

The music player is on random play
It has over seven thousand tracks to choose from
Now Boris Gardener & The Keys sing melodiously
He's singing about being alone
Does he know something, could he foresee the future
Could he see me sitting here struggling for words to write
Yes I'm all dazed and confused
The music has changed again, Led Zeppelin
I drink the cold tea, it was tea after all
The food looks unappetising, out for the birds I think

The point I'm trying to make is a simple one
I write and write, tapping the keys with two fingers
Index and middle of my right hand
They dance over the keys like demented robotic digits
Hoping that something of value appears on the screen.
Portishead, Cowboys, another prophetic song me thinks
Who am I trying to convince here?
I enjoy writing in this format, I can express myself!

I light yet another cigarette, smoke drifting up
Inhale deeply, exhale slowly
More Grateful Dead
These tracks are short today!
Perhaps it's the time taken to write between tracks!
Throwing Stones, hopefully doing no damage
I have a lot of their music on my hard drive
Most of it owned on CD too
The rest from friends who, like me, love the Dead

Music and writing poetry brings me alive
Makes me feel 'real'
I guess this could go on all day
Songs on Winamp
Lines of words, words moving with the random choice

©Trevor Litchfield

No comments:

Post a Comment