Sunday 29 May 2011

Another day goes by

Another day goes by,
another day in my life forever lost.
So many days have gone this way,
leaving me with a sense of waste.
As I near a half century in years,
those lost days count ever higher.

Am I to leave this realm,
never knowing why it was like this?
I am lucky, I can read, write,
communicate with an audience.
There is a pleasure in that for me.
A satisfaction of reaching others.

If I am lucky, I have a third of my life left.
What to do with that time I am unsure.
I could read myself into oblivion,
for what purpose? Self gratification?
I could write my thoughts for all to see,
a lasting legacy that might live on?

I have no wish to make you despair,
I am not in a maudlin mood.
There are things I want to do (see),
people I would like to meet (love).
But I need to find a purpose,
one that feeds the hunger.

Today I add to my legacy,
more lines from the rhythms of my mind.
Undulating, like the Norfolk countryside
I have made my home.
I share my life with you this way
because I have nothing else to give.

©2011 Trevor Litchfield

1 comment:

  1. Receiving is good for me...you are gifted my friend. I like seeing your smiling face on my blog when reading my comments. And your purpose may be your writing and how you make us feel as we read it. Hmmmmm?
    I used to read a great deal at least a book a day. I like reading your reviews...I wonder how you do it but then of course you have a way with words...
    I am a sloppy writer, doesn't stop me! LOL

    ReplyDelete