Thursday 30 June 2011

Kitchen at Parties

We all know the song, yeah, of course we do! Here I am, another party, another kitchen! This one is all new and sparkly with bright new appliances, bright new cookware and so on. I was in my usual place in the corner, can of beer in my hand and basically trying to look like I was having a good time.

I tag along with my friends to these parties, nowadays these are house warming events of newly wed friends or acquaintances. Not so long ago they were the after the pub gatherings where we would be half drunk before we ever reached the house. Many things went on at these parties, things I seemed to be excluded from. I still used to go, what else was I to do?

Now my friends are all getting married , often I am the only one in the pub on a Friday evening, the only one of a once burgeoning group of young twenty somethings.

These house warming parties are often the last time I see these old friends. Until the next party, the next married couple invite all the other married couples to their parties. I often feel I get invited out of habit. I once belonged to their group. Now we have different priorities, different lives.

The kitchen is warm. Why do singles always elevate to the kitchen at parties? Is it because we have no one to cuddle up to? Is it because we are scared to enjoy ourselves? Is it because it’s where the beer is stored?

Music thumps away in the background as the evening drags on. This party, this couple leave me as the last single person of our old gang.

This evening does not end as happily for me as it does in the song. I go home alone and wait to be in another kitchen at another party.

©2011 Trevor Litchfield

No comments:

Post a Comment